Friday, July 22, 2011

The Do-Not-Sell List

To me the Russian Olive is a beautiful shrub with silver foliage that I've encountered on walks, but now I learn that it is considered an invasive species and may not be sold on Long Island. There are 63 plant species on this list and it's a real eye-opener. The law prohibits the sale, introduction and propagation of these invasive species banned in Suffolk County or Nassau County.
Suffolk and Nassau Counties Do-Not-Sell list
Information on Invasive Plants

2 comments:

Oppy said...

We have them here also! They do smell nice but have recently been discouraged from being planted. They haven't quite gone as far as totally banning them.

Priscilla said...

Purple loosestrife used to be seen on every property in suburbia, but now it's banned. Only a few of these 63 were actually sold; the rest are just out of control invasives. I haven't seen kudzu here but I know it's rampant in the South. I'm on a personal crusade against Japanese knotweed--I cut it down wherever I see it.