Friday, February 27, 2009

Childe Hassam

Windmills, East Hampton
Old Mulford House, East Hampton, 1930

Last week, just before it closed, I went to the Childe Hassam exhibit at the Long Island Museum here in Stony Brook. Mostly etchings were on view but a few paintings as well. These two were my favorites. This was work he did late in life when he lived on the East End. I still prefer the earlier lively city scenes but I wouldn't mind having one of these on my wall.

The show
The Met's Hassam site

4 comments:

Kristen said...

reminds me of Monet, one of my most favorite painters

Priscilla said...

He was strongly influenced by the Impressionists. He was called the first American Impressionist, in fact.

Biddie said...

I really like the 2nd painting - pleasant place to live ....

Biddie said...

I just spent some time reading thru the website on Childe Hassam - what an interesting person. I have not ever hear of him before - says a lot for the American artists course I took back in school! This man was exceptional - I was amazed at how much he traveled about - a real gypsy in his soul.