Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rose Garden, Southampton
















I visited the David Drew Rose Garden in Southampton yesterday. It's on a hill near the new library.There are dozens of roses in all colors and sizes arranged in a square with brick paths, arbors, pergolas, and a wonderful gazebo. The lifesize figure of a child quietly presides over it all. Though yesterday was just the beginning of the display period, there were enough roses in bloom to cheer anyone's heart.

The garden is maintained by the Southampton Rose Society

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow that is fabulous! My roses are doing aweful, I just don't get them. Do these roses smell purty??

Priscilla said...

Some did. I didn't sniff all 85 of them!

Your roses might be overwatered. There's lots of good info on the internet.

Priscilla said...

If you follow that link I gave and click on Articles, there are 3 or 4 that might help you.

Biddie said...

My favorites are the climbing roses! I love how thickly they cover the various structures.

Priscilla said...

Yes, the climbers are the most spectacular, and it seems the earliest.

Cheryl said...

Oh how lovely :)

My daughter dug up a rose bush from my garden a few weeks ago, she was so proud and happy to tell me today how well it's flourishing in her garden. Makes my heart happy that she too is falling under the gardening spell.

Really nice pictures, what a beautiful garden.