Friday, June 20, 2008

Not one book but an AUTHOR

Today is Friday, Book Recommendation Day. This time I want to mention not a single book but my favorite living author, Alexander McCall Smith, who keeps on churning out delightful stories in at least 3 series. (I think he must be triplets.)

His first series about the lady detective, Precious Ramotswe in Botswana, intrigued me. There are at least 9 titles in that series. Then he started writing a second series about some characters in an Edinburgh boarding house, 44 Scotland Street, which was so good (I listened to them on CDs from the library) that I began to think and talk with a Scottish accent. There are 3 titles now. The third series, about sharp-witted and thoughtful Isabel Dalhousie, also located in Scotland, is perhaps my favorite series. There are 4 titles in this series so far. Last but not least, there are 3 short novels about an incredible Professor Von Igelfeld,

One warning, however...If you read, or listen to, just one title by this author, you will be hooked!

Here's his web page. Watch for the red fox.
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/mccallsmith/main.php

5 comments:

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I will check him out. I need a good read to clear my palate ...I've been obsessing about protecting baby birds from blue jays and bilirubin counts on bulldogs for too many days now...

Have you read Amy Tan? If so, what do you think of her? The Joy Luck Club I found to be a deeply touching book ~ the way Chinese thought & speech seems to encompass many different levels of meaning within each word.

Her later stories perhaps could be considered redundant but I still enjoyed them.

(Sorry for the above deletion)

Priscilla said...

I haven't read Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club but a friend raved about it so it is on my to-read list.

If you haven't read any McCall Smith the easiet way to get into him is the 44 Scotland Street series. They were originally a weekly series in a Scottish newspaper and later he collected them into a book. They are episodic, each chapter complete in itself. The little boy whose mother makes him go to a psychiatrist is so funny!

Biddie said...

((laughing)) I spotted the Red Fox! It was dashing around and lurking behind a pile of books! Just for that, I'm going to go order an Isabel Dalhousie book from Amazon!!

Priscilla said...

Hooray!. I know you'll enjoy it.