Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Beech Leaves in Spring



The Hounds of Spring
by
Algernon Charles Swinburne

When the hounds of spring are on winter's traces,
The mother of months in meadow or plain
Fills the shadows and windy places
With lisp of leaves and ripple of rain;
And the brown bright nightingale amorous
Is half assuaged for Itylus,
For the Thracian ships and the foreign faces,
The tongueless vigil, and all the pain.

Come with bows bent and with emptying of quivers,
Maiden most perfect, lady of light,
With a noise of winds and many rivers,
With a clamor of waters, and with might;
Bind on thy sandals, O thou most fleet,
Over the splendor and speed of thy feet;
For the faint east quickens, the wan west shivers,
Round the feet of the day and the feet of the night.

Where shall we find her, how shall we sing to her,
Fold our hands round her knees and cling?
O that man's heart were as fire and could spring to her,
Fire, or the strength of the streams that spring!
For the stars and the winds are unto her
As raiment, as songs of the harp-player;
For the risen stars and the fallen cling to her,
And the southwest-wind and the west-wind sing.

For winter's rains and ruins are over,
And all the season of snows and sins;
The days dividing lover and lover,
The light that loses, the night that wins;
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in green underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the spring begins...

5 comments:

Biddie said...

Priscilla - I am so happy to have your presence and interests in my life. Your inner world and time spent on this earth is so different from mine. While I spent my available "eye-ball" time reading manuals, you spent yours engaging in the artistry of the written word.

I learned to scan for the pertinent phrases to assimilate how to proceed with logical details; somehow, over the years, losing the patience to read for the sheer joy of it, actually losing the skill of reading for the beauty of it.

I had to actually read this out loud to force myself to focus on each word, trying to savor the flow and beauty of each line.

There were references to things that were completely unknown to me thereby causing me to miss some of the richness of the poem but I still enjoyed the moments of being immersed in the images.

And, of course, I can relate completely to the beautiful shades of green leaves just arriving in the Spring sunlight and warmth ...

Maybe there's hope for this forest-bound recluse ....

Priscilla said...

So g;ad you enjoyed this poem, Biddie. The first line is often quoted. Swinburne is known for entrancing rhythms and sounds you can wallow in, but images that can be logical nonsense. In college I once had a Swinburne craze lasting several weeks, couldn't read anything else, couldn't go to class, nothing. Got over it, though. Another of the late 19th century "decadents" was Dowson, whose line you may have heard, "I have been faithful to thee, Cynara -- in my fashion."

Cheryl said...

It may be out of fashion, but I dearly love that type of verbiage. Words can be so elegant & voluptuous, like a fine wine full of complex notes. I think it's a shame that the English language has lost such depth & eloquence. The modern vernacular is like a flat can of soda in comparison.

Priscilla said...

Well put.
We can USE such language, it's just that nobody will publish it anymore.
I'll have to take your word about the "fine wine" comparison. I make do with Gallo.

Priscilla said...

Thanks for your kind words, Biddie. I'm glad you're (back) in my life, too.

You portray yourself as not having patience but nothing could be farther from impatience than the impression I have of you and your activities... Much persistence, attention to detail, hard work, creativity, PATIENCE, devotion to your animals and family and friends. Give yourself some credit, gal!!