Thursday, August 21, 2008

Spidery comment at the University

What the heck is this, an alien space ship?



Yikes, it has legs!




Maybe it's a giant spider and this is one of its practice webs.





Bikes resting while owners toil within the big What-Is-It.




Fortunately there wasn't one. ( I just liked this composition.)





This big building, the Health Sciences Center, is the tallest structure on Long Island. There are 3 or 4 stories below where we were standing. The cubes are connected by walkways high up which give a view for miles. It reminds me of that Russian folk tale of the witch Baba Yaga who lives in "a cabin on chicken legs with no windows and no doors".

3 comments:

Biddie said...

I wouldn't like to live in a building like this but I love exploring the spaces. UTMB built 2 buildings on its campus in this elevated style - I always thought that it allowed for people walking around on the ground to have a more open view around them.

Your reference to Baba Yaga reminded me of a piece of music that I love and haven't heard in years - Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition by Ravel - the piece named "The Hut on Hen’s Legs".

Cheryl said...

Wow, that's really wild looking. Have you been inside? I wonder how much light is brought in through the circular windows. Does it feel claustrophobic due to the lack of windows?

Priscilla said...

Yes, I've been inside it but not recently. It contains a medical school, hospital, nursing school, and several other things. Some people call it a carbuncle on the landscape.