Thursday, September 18, 2008

We Visited the Statue of Liberty Yesterday


Much-photographed Lady Liberty being admired by yours truly on a beautiful day in September

The museum inside the pedestal contains a life-sized replica of her face, quite mesmerizing.

And her toes.


A view of lower Manhattan from Liberty Island.

At Battery Park: "Officer, can you tell us where the ferry ticket office is?" "Certainly. It's that round stone building over there. But today is Canoe Day, you have to paddle across." "WHAAAT!!?" (He was only joking and, clip-clop, clip-clop, proceeded to accompany us to the right place)


Though it's a cliche image, this is MY photo of Lady Liberty.

The Statue of Liberty has been on my Places to Visit list for many years and I was not disappointed upon finally seeing it. Hoardes of people had the same idea yesterday, the vast majority of them under 30, heartening sign. Many languages overheard. Long lines to get on the ferry, and to go through security twice (puff-puff-puff, all your possessions in a bucket) and to get off the ferry, and then at Ellis Island. Same ferry ticket covered that, so even tho we were bushed by 3:30, we wandered for a while through those huge halls imagining how it was and we looked at an exhibit of clothing and objects from around the world. Both places were well worth the visit.

As you may know Battery Park where we took the ferry is near the financial district. On the way home we couldn't help wondering what momentous things were transpiring in those buildings as we crossed Wall Street and then drove north past the AIG headquarters at 5:30 pm. No panic anywhere.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I went to the SOL for the first time when I was a 6 month old bald baby, obviously I don't remember, then the second time I went I was 28! It was so croweded I never even went inside. The first time we went up the torch I guess from what my parents told me.
How fun you went and saw her, it looks like you had a great time, and it's still crowded as ever, thats a good sign!
The cop is cute too!

Biddie said...

Good Morning! What a great place to go to for a day-trip! Your pictures triggered a flood of memories.

From your pictures, there has been some changes since I was there.
Those life-sized replicas weren't there; in fact, I don't remember the museum either. There certainly wasn't all the security checks nor was there any policemen patroling on horseback. What a difference a few decades can make.

The reason behind our visit was that some female cousin came for a visit from out of nowhere when I was in 8th grade. I had no idea as to who she was and how she fit into the family's structure ... never heard of her before she was to be picked up at the airport - definitely weird.

Anyway, my father decided to take us to see the Statue of Liberty - this was about the late Spring of 1955.

We didn't get inside - just wandered around the base. But I remember the ferry ride most of all - I loved being out on the water like that.

My father also took us up to the Emmpire State Building - that was when I discovered that I had a mild vertigo - I'm not afraid of heights but I do get dizzy so I have to be careful.

You have so much early U.S. history to visit and explore within such a close radius of where you live - fun pictures!

Biddie said...

Oops! I see that my flaky keyboard, my unpredictable typing expertise and my predictable spelling problems caught up with me again in the above - I apologize and encourage you to just patiently read on, filling in whatever gaps you have to do ...