Thursday, April 23, 2009

New spring hat


I've been riding my nice old Raleigh 3-speed bike for about 38 years now. When did I get my first helmet? Today!! From L. L. Bean. It came with an instruction book, wouldn't you know. Should I read it or just be a mensch?
The reason I concluded it was time to get helmeted ... About 6 weeks ago I went for a test ride on a new Trek bike around the snazzy store's parking lot. Very nice, lots of power, would be good on hills, and I was doing beautiful circles until I tried to brake and hop off in my usual way. Crash. Feet tangled in frame (they make 'em shorter now). Nasty gash on knee. Embarrassment. Salesman very nice (I didn't tell him I was wounded but I could feel the gore oozing onto my jeans). He said, "That's all right. You know, we're not 21 any more, it's the balance thing ..." (No, it was the shorter frame thing).
Later I thought, well maybe one could fall on one's head even with good balance; and traffic is getting worse and worse. So ..... that's the story.
(P.S. I didn't buy the Trek bike, but I have the thick glossy brochures)

10 comments:

Biddie said...

Your new helmet looks very space-age!! quite sleek and streamline.

I haven't ever gotten a helmet for myself either - guess it was because I was raised in the same before-helmets-era as you were! I haven't ridden any since I moved here - between the hills and the dirt roads, bicyling is too difficult.

Glad that your knee wasn't messed up too badly - hope there's not any lingering discomfort - knees can get really touchy.

You have 38 years on one bike - that's fantastic. My old rusty trusty comes from after I moved to the Bolivar Peninsula and a huge flood wiped out my car - I couldn't afford to have the car fixed for a couple of months so I got the bike to get to work - I've had it for about 19 years now.

Do you think you still might go ahead and get the Trek?

Maria said...

I am glad you are wearing a helmet now. It is much safer that way. I wish I could still bicycle but my lungs can't sustain a ride over any slope at all. Maria

Cheryl said...

That is a spiffy helmet indeed! So much traffic in the world now, good to be safe and wear one just in case. Hope the knee is ok.

Priscilla said...

Knee is okay. Anointed it twice a day with antibiotic cream for a couple of weeks. The bruise is still a little painful. That knee has been battered so often I can't tell if the scar is new or old. Thanks for asking.
The 17-page instruction booklet for the helmet contains a French translation and other stuff so I only need to peruse 4 pages. A sign of our times, so much unnecessary stuff.

Cheryl said...

Here is the Cliffs Note version to save you some time:

"Insert head here"

Priscilla said...

I can do that.

Cheryl said...

:)

Scary isn't it how Americans are allowing themselves to be "dumbed down"...

4 pages of instructions to put a helmet on your head!! Crazy! But I'm sure that is the result of someone suing in the past for an improperly inserted head.

Cheryl said...

Glucosamine and ice for your knee... you have to stick with the glucosamine...it takes a few months to kick in but really seems to help with joint pain.

If you are going to go banging about on your bicycle you need to have a few preventative measures in stock.

Priscilla said...

Glucosamine...haven't a clue. Glucose...that's sugar. Oh, eat more sugar. I can do that, too.

Cheryl said...

Ha! Glucosamine helps with cushioning the joints, I give it to all my bulldogs and should start taking it myself as I'm getting achy in my old age.

But sugar is nice too :)

I guess you could say it also helps to cushion your body lol!