Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Vulcan has a lot to answer for

Among the many messed up plans caused by the volcano in Iceland is the following sad news: Alexander McCall Smith's American tour has been cancelled!

My favorite living author is stuck in Scotland. The news came in an email today (I'm a member of his fan club). Bad, bad volcano! The bad news

Not that I would have been able to attend any of the events. I just don't like the idea of the powers of good cheer being thwarted in any way. It's a bad sign.

Not long ago I read and enjoyed his latest novel, something quite different from the previous works, La's Orchestra Saves the World. I heartily recommend it to you.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I find it amusing how all the reporters refer to the volcano as "that volcano in Iceland" due to it's utterly unpronounceable name.

Priscilla said...

Hey, what's so hard about "Aya-fyatla-jo-kutl"?

"The New York Times gives the following pronounciation: EY-ya-fyat-lah-YOH-kuht. They also add that if you say it soft it kind of sounds like Hey, ya fergot La Yogurt."