Friday, October 29, 2010

New York Transit Museum, 10-20-10

Many old subway cars are on display in a 1936 IND
station located at the corner of Boerum Place and
Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn Heights





Charles, our very knowledgeable and entertaining guide


Rattan seats



Ad in a car from the 1920s



Charles knew all there was to know about these cars, some of which are still used on special occasions such as excursions to Coney Island (Guess how they used to prevent pilfering of light bulbs -- The bulbs screwed in backwards, thus were useless anywhere else)

A wooden car

1904 paper ticket chopper

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh that must have been SO much fun! I had the best time at the Adirondak museum this summer and my favorite thing was the trains

Cheryl said...

Interesting about the light bulbs, such an ingenious yet simple solution to the problem.

Priscilla said...

I would have taken more pix if the light hadn't been so dim. It was quite interesting. Some of the people in our group rememberered riding in the older cars. The whole upper level of the building had exhibits which we didn't have time to take in, alas.

Oppy said...

I can remember going into the city in my late teens and taking the subway over to Canal Street. It was the dumping ground for all the old military communications equipment. I'm sure Herb remembers that place! I also took the ferry across from Hoboken NJ into the city.

What a lot of fun!

Oppy said...

I can remember periodically going as a teen into NYC by ferry from Hoboken NJ and then taking the subway to Canal St. It was the dumping grounds for all the old WWII communications equipment. I'm sure Herb remembers the place!

It was a great experience and a lot of fun. Also got lots of goodies in the way of old equipment.

Priscilla said...

Yes, Oppie, I am still moderating comments.

You would have enjoyed that Brooklyn trip, I think.

What did you do with all the old radio equipment when you moved away from NJ?

Oppy said...

The equipment was stored in my basement out here in Colorado for about 20 years. In a fit of committing a neatness I gave it to a friend here who was interested in some of the parts.