Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I felt the earthquake!

This afternoon about 1:55, after a nice walk on a pine-needle trail in the woods, I was sitting under a tree beside the track at Shoreham High School, enjoying apple juice, chocolate chip cookies, and Chasing Aphrodite, the new tell-all book about the Getty Museum. Suddenly the ground under my nether parts began to go back and forth. Weird! What is going on? After the shaking had gone on for ten or twenty seconds I felt very uneasy and got up. Am I having a stroke? The few people running on the track showed no awareness of anything wrong. Was it a giant groundhog tunnel being excavated? (There are many resident groundhogs here.) A sprinkler system rumbling into life? Has New York City been bombed? What the h___?
I went into the North Shore Library, which is only steps away, sat down at a computer, but before I could get to a news site I heard someone say "we had an earthquake". Whew! What a sense of relief. Only an earthquake. It wasn't me, then. Only an earthquake after all! (5.8 and centered in Virginia and I feel for those in tall buildings).

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I was sitting at my desk reading on my computer screen. ray's mom called last night and she hadn't felt it since she was driving in a car, she wanted to know what it felt like, I said it was very strange and felt like a ghost was shaking my chair and then the building kind of rattled. I work in a really old building that used to be a carriage house. now I don't really believe in ghosts but I had a weird eery feeling after and was kind of dizzy, which I am hearing a lot of people say

Priscilla said...

I know what you mean. I had that eerie feeling, too, partly from the silent unexpected onset. I had to get up and walk away from the spot where I was sitting, as if it were just a local oddity (groundhogs?), and of course it was over right away with no damage. The people on the West coast must be laughing at us.

Kristen said...

I think they are laughing too! We are rookies in the EQ department for sure

Biddie said...

Popping in to leave a quick note here - hope that you, your car and your home ride out Irene safely up there! Take care!!!

Priscilla said...

Thanks, Biddie.
We're keeping our fingers crossed. Have our flashlights, water bottles, radio.
This will be my 3rd major hurricane--The first when I was a child;, it was a really dangerous one in MA, we were in a cottage at Horseneck Beach by the ocean and we got out just in time. The second was Gloria in 1985 when the power was off for eleven days and many trees came down. The south shore of Long Island is in for some big flooding trouble this time; that's 10 or 15 miles away. Probably no flooding here.