Monday, July 21, 2008

Daytrip to Ocean Grove, NJ






On Saturday my friend Mary and I went "down the shore" to New Jersey to the fabled town of Ocean Grove (near Asbury Park), famous for its splendid Victorian houses, fine gardens, camp ground atmosphere, great boardwalk on the Atlantic Ocean, and wonderful concerts on the huge organ that just turned 100 years old. It was a fun day and I took 42 pictures, a few of which are worth sharing. After the concert we walked around even though it was hot. The houses are fantastic The gardens would delight even master gardeners like you guys. The third picture down shows some of the tent city where people live all summer (114 tents with small attached buildings laid out in neat streets). One amazingly friendly lady saw us acting like tourists and immediately took us right into her tent home and showed us around. The picture with the three houses was on Embury St.; each house was grand like that. The street was closed off for a block party. Nice place to spend the day!

4 comments:

The Wine Guy said...

sounds like fun

Cheryl said...

Those stargazers are beautiful, the fragrance must have been intense!
Looks like a lovely town, not many people realize there are such jewels in New Jersey.

Biddie said...

What a great day trip!

I've see these old houses up close when I lived outside Atlantic City - they are such beauties - they just couldn't be built today!

A couple of times I seen them on HGTV on the program "House Hunters" - I just drool over the architectural details inside ....

Biddie said...

forgot to mention - I hadn't heard of the tents before - I wonder if your guide had said anything about that being a recent development or a way of living at the beach that's been around for a long time ??