Friday, November 7, 2008

Thoughts on seeing the first tasteless Christmas decorations...


The Lake Isle of Innisfree
by
William Butler Yeats

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight 's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

6 comments:

Biddie said...

Good Morning .. I haven't seen any Christmas decorations in this area yet but I know that they are coming.

I'm assuming that the merchants will be desperately trying extra hard this Christmas to have their decorations reach into our emotions and trigger those "need to buy" drives to aid their floundering bottom lines.

The poem that you put up is interesting - I would never had read it if you hadn't put it there - with the alternate lines rhyming. My eyes caught the rhyme but I couldn't really get it so I read it out aloud. The imagery of the words was gentle and pleasant but the sense of rhyme wasn't strong in my ears.

I had to look up the correct spelling of "rhyming" that I used above and came across the terms "feminine rhyme" and "masculine rhyme" which of course sent me off into other areas of the dictionary ....

Upon that excellent research, I declare this poem is written in the masculine rhyme form - I'm impressed with myself!! (( grin ))

But have heart - there are some really nice Christmas decorations out there to be found and appreciated ....

Kristen said...

I went to Walmart just the other day and they were playing Christmas music and today at Costco's they are selling Pre lit Fake Tree's right when you walk in the front door... Oh I hate it, why do they have to start so early? Where did Thanksgiving go?

Priscilla said...

Yes, it's too early for all that jazz. Nearly two months of it we'll have to put up with.

Seems it's been raining every day since the time change. I haven't seen a pretty sunset in a while. Our tree colors are still gorgeous,though.

Priscilla said...

Well, some of them. Many leaves are on the ground.

Maria said...

One of my favorite poems. Thank you. Lana

Priscilla said...

Hi Lana!! Welcome to my blog. I just now saw your comment. Please come back and join the discussions...or what ever they are...often.