Friday, August 28, 2009

A day in the city

Time to play tourist again. I hadn't visited the Empire State Building since the 1960s. Wednesday was a beautiful day and the lines were not too long. I took about 90 pictures and will be showing some of the better ones over the next few days.

Everyone was taking pictures

Costs fifty cents





Looking down makes you feel queasy even though you know you're perfectly safe behind those bars. But it's a nice queasy.


You can see all of Manhattan and across the rivers to New Jersey and Long Island.

There are visitors from around the world, and the many languages you hear spoken as you crowd together add to the interest of the experience. I took a photo for a nice French family and many others did the same for each other. The people were as interesting as the views of the city.

I took pictures on all four sides but due to the location of the light some came out better than others. That consarn Direct TV blimp circled around the whole time, like a pesky fly.

(To be continued)

Empire State Building

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I have not been there since 1982, well I have been to NYC just not to the ESB. I should take a trip up there next time I go too. Thanks for the picture tour and memories

Cheryl said...

Nice shots, although the thought of being that high up makes my stomach twist...eesh!

Biddie said...

What a great place to go play tourist!! Those fences are something else - my mild vertigo is triggered just by looking at your pictures - makes me feel like I could float up and out of those fences and bars - I'd feel safer with them curved all the way back to the building and bolted into the walls....

I have only been there once. I was about 15 and some "cousin" came to visit. (( I had never heard of her before that and never heard the family speak of her after that 3 day visit - have no idea who she really was. )) My father took her, my brothers and me for a ride on the Staten Island ferry and then to the ESB. Besides the view, my most vivid memories were of those elevators that took off like rockets!!

Hope you had a great day!!

P.S. Did you go see the Rockettes also??