Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A few miscellaneous pictures

Pink imps. Quite ordinary except that these "annuals" are 3 years old. I keep them indoors all winter and put them out in May at which time they look terrible, but they do recover and bloom.

Chocolate mint. Too strong to use in tea, but when I have to trim them back I put the trimmings in my car by the accelerator pedal and they are crushed and leave a nice scent in the car.

What's keeping me company this evening in the library. It's the last day of the summer term and there are hardly any students around. Starting tomorrow the library will be open 8-4 until Sept.

This is a cutting I made from a small angel wing begonia plant I bought 2 years ago at a yard sale. It didn't bloom last summer but is doing well in all the moisture of this summer. It likes to snuggle near the jade plant and hosta.

The parent plant in the green pot has lovely red stems and 2 blossoms as well. I was never a begonia person but maybe I'm turning into one.

Here's the luna moth you were looking for, Cheryl, right here in my windshield. A pebble strike on June 1st made a small mark and suddenly six weeks later it expanded to this. (I got a new windshield a few days ago)

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Ahhh look who has a green thumb and was hiding it! I don't do well with Begonia either, you have a nice one. I have only had to get 1 windshield in my entire driving life. Cheryl on the other hand was having a whole bunch of trouble one year with hers due to the town putting down those stones or whatever when they laid down oil sealant on the road out to her house, remember that?

Cheryl said...

Oh Lordy I do remember...that was the year I drove home with a perpetually clenched fist muttering dire epithets to the world!!

Nothing like chip seal and a brand spanking new upright Jeep Windshield to get your road rage on.

No matter how slow you drove, someone would come whipping around and then you'd hear that "Pang" against your windshield....oh the heartbreak.

My very first new vehicle assaulted by rocks tossed up by the casual passerby...I was beside myself. I went through I think 3 windshields?

On to Begonias...last year I had two beautiful pots of them, this year I have one bedraggled hanging basket. It looks anemic and sad, I'm not sure what to do with it but I'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

I like your use of the chocolate mint...aromatherapy! I could have used some of that whilst driving through the chip seal :)

Priscilla said...

In a hanging basket wouldn't it dry out too much? Mine seem to like being near other plants. Just keep picking off the bad leaves. And feed it.

Biddie said...

The begonias look so tropical - beautiful color. I never even tried to grow some since they looked too fragile for my hands-off approach to gardening.

The pebble on the windshield happened to me also - and, like you all, a speeding car going past me on a messy road did the damage. I was so annoyed.

It stayed small for several days until one really hot day when all of a sudden it spread all through out the window. My insurance paid for it but the next quarterly premium went up ....

Biddie said...

Oops - I meant to add that I have been in a large university library when all the students were off on holidays doing some upgrades on their computers - a very strange empty echoing place .... couldn't help but walk around looking at all the old (and new) medical books - fascinating.

Kristen said...

Your Insurance shouldn't go up for just a windshield unless you have a whole bunch of them (windshield claims) Your rates just probably changed like they do all the time, have you had a good review of your coverage lately? Call your agent and do that, you could save money

Priscilla said...

Yup, my insurance company assured me my premium would not go up because of this glass claim.