Saturday, March 1, 2008

Yipes! What did they see?

Who said the classics are not relevant! The following passage from the life of Lysander, the Spartan general who defeated Athens in 406BC , contains an intriguing digression by Plutarch,

XII. "Some affirmed, that when Lysander's ship sailed out of the harbour of Lampsakus to attack the enemy, they saw the Dioskuri, like two stars, shining over the rudders[147]. Some also say that the fall of the great stone was an omen of this disaster: for the common belief is that a vast stone fell down from Heaven into the Goat's Rivers, which stone is even now to be seen, and is worshipped by the people of the Chersonese…. [Then Plutarch speculates about the origin of shooting stars for about ten lines. Then he relates a sighting, 500 years before his day, that has a familiar ring to it. Colored italics mine]….
This theory of Anaxagoras is confirmed by Daimachus in his treatise on Piety, where he states that for seventy-five days before the stone fell a fiery body of great size like a burning cloud, was observed in the heavens. It did not remain at rest, but moved in various directions by short jerks, so that by its violent swaying about many fiery particles were broken off, and flashed like shooting-stars. When, however, it sank to the earth, the inhabitants, after their first feeling of terror and astonishment were passed, collected together, and found no traces of fire, but merely a stone lying on the ground, which although a large one, bore no comparison to that fiery mass. It is evident that this tale of Daimachus can only find credit with indulgent readers: but if it be true, it signally confutes those who argue that the stone was wrenched by the force of a whirlwind from some high cliff, carried up high into the air, and then let fall whenever the violence of the tempest abated. Unless, indeed, that which was seen for so many days was really fire, which, when quenched, produced such a violent rushing and motion in the air as tore the stone from its place. A more exact enquiry into these matters, however, belongs to another subject."

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm definitely unschooled here, but for the object to have been visible for so long, and to change directions~to me that would seem unlikely for a meteor of some sort...strange.

I think Zaphod Beeblebrox was up to his usual tom foolery....

Cheryl said...

I just came across a video about a massive fireball over Switzerland..supposedly visible in Italy as well. The comments varied from an exploding meteorite to lightening to perhaps pieces of the satellite the U.S. shot down. Interesting stuff.

Biddie said...

I think that there was a brawl at the Nightclub at the edge of the Universe that turned into an outright clash of two outlaw gangs. Their space ships were damaged as they fired on each other, alternately causing flareups in their Krenshaw Overdrives. As they dipped in and out of various timewarps trying to evade each other, it gave the appearance from Earth that there was this strange movement. As one of the damaged space ships fell to Earth, the pressures and heat changed its form into the found stone ....

Priscilla said...

Uh....yeah, if you say so, Biddie. Um, Krenshaw Overdrive, refresh my memory on that please.
Me, I read the account as a UFO sighting! Guess I've been watching too many of those UFO documentaries late at night on TV.
Zaphod Beeblebrox... what was that from? Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
The fireball was probably related to the blown-up satellite, but I'm going to google it and find out more. Thanks for tip.
So glad to know my readership is back. I was a little worried over the weekend.

Biddie said...

Putting aside my silly little story for a moment, the fiery display could have been a super nova exploding ...

Cheryl said...

Yep, I loved those goofy series of tales from Douglas Adams...looks like Mom is familiar with it as well. Never knew you hung out at the Restaurant at the end of the Universe, Mom!! Priscilla, your blog continues to educate me :).

So long, and thanks for all the fish!!

Cheryl said...

Mom...if it were a super nova...the human race would scattered all ova!

Biddie said...

For sure the human race would have been knocked ar$e ova teakettle ..

(oops, sorry, Priscilla)

Priscilla said...

Do supernovas explode over a 75-day period?
Fish?
This must be a secret message.
Biddie, have you been swallowing bovine vitamins?

Biddie said...

If I remember (hopefully) from a science channel doc I saw not long ago, they can be seen over a period of time like that. Also, with a retrograde motion created by differing rates of movements and orbits in the sky, the effect of wobbling can be created - Venus is especially known for this.

I am temporarily out of my own brand of vitamins but I haven't tapped into the bovine's stash - at least not at this time (grin)

mooo-oooo - er, excuse me!

P.S. I really should be working on my income tax return, but this is more fun!

Cheryl said...

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
It's a line from one of the Hitchhiker stories...I was just being silly.

Priscilla said...

Ooooooooo-uh.
I had forgotten that.
I like silly.
Can you claim the cows as dependents, Biddie? The are that.
We had a lecture this morning by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. What an entertainer. He mentioned there is a killer asteroid heading our way, due in 2029. Comforting thought.

Biddie said...

I sure would like to claim all my animals as dependents!!! I've never had the courage to try for it ....