Friday, April 4, 2008

Dr. King

It was 40 years ago today that Martin Luther King was assassinated. Gosh, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news.

On April 4th I was six weeks away from finishing my 2-year course at Rutgers Library School in New Brunswick. That day I had taken an elderly gentleman from Free Acres with me to the campus so he could talk with the Special Collections Librarian about donating some papers he had (letter from FDR, etc.). I left him in the SC Dept. and went to my classes, saying I would be back at 4:00 to pick him up. Well, when I returned at that hour he wasn't there and someone informed me he had been taken to the hospital as he had collapsed. Great!

I drove to the hospital and sat in the Emergency waiting room. A young doctor came out and asked if I was Mrs. B. When I said no he sort of smirked (man 86, woman 27). I called the real Mrs. B and doctor talked with her, then said he couldn't release him, even though he had regained strength, because X-rays showed a darkening on one lung. Mrs. B said pooh, it had been there for a long time. Talk, talk, back and forth. Finally they said Mr. B could be released. I'd been in the waiting room for several hours by now. Suddenly, as we were getting ready to go, an ambulance driver walked in the door and said Martin Luther King had been shot. Shock, pure shock, horrible. Another assassination! Well, I carefully put Mr. B in my car and we drove home. He was okay. But all we could think about was the horrible event. My car didn't have a radio so we couldn't even listen for news. It was a long, unforgettable day. Forty years ago.

3 comments:

Biddie said...

You certainly had some very critical and vivid circumstances that day to specifically spotlight the assasination!

I've been thinking back to the circumstances in my life at that time. Michael-Ann was 4 1/2, Cheryl was 2 1/2 -- I was working mornings at the fuel oil company as a bookkeeper. There was nothing to mark the day for us as unusual except for the awareness of the tragedy. It was in September of this year that I got accepted into the training class at AT&T which started my programming years.

Oppy said...

I lost touch with this world (the USA) for almost all of 1968. I was in Thailand. Didn't want to go but I'm really glad I did. I learned a lot of things I never would have otherwise. And I'm not talking about anything technical or military. But I did miss out on a lot of news from home.

Priscilla said...

Were you in the Peace Corps? The Army?