Friday, May 23, 2008

Can you see the Piping Plover?

A perfectly camouflaged small bird is in the middle of this picture looking for a good place to settle. This is their traditional nesting area. Piping plovers don't really make nests; they lay their eggs in a depression in the sand. Very vulnerable. Signs have been posted and the vicinity has been roped off so humans won't disturb them. I took this picture on Monday while the wind was whipping, clouds were scudding, yellow warblers were flitting among the cedars, and this little bird was peeping loudly and dashing here and there. Almost invisible.
This is what he/she looked like: http://www.fws.gov/northeast/pipingplover/

4 comments:

Biddie said...

(( laughing )) you got me!! where in that sandy world is Waldo P. Plover??

Priscilla said...

Darned if I can find it now either. I tried to take the shot so it was in the center but it might have moved to the left.

Cheryl said...

I can't find it either...

Kristen said...

I can't find it, I was too shy to admit it so thanks girls before me for admitting it!