Saturday, June 20, 2009

Strawberries

Yesterday, since it wasn't raining, I dragged Mary out of her real estate office and we drove out East and picked strawberries at a place on Sound Avenue. It was good to get out in the wide open spaces. Cloudy skies made for more comfortable working conditions and we soon had our quart boxes full. These tall yellow flowers were growing everywhere among the strawberry plants along with swathes of camomile. Wonder what they are?

Mary picked twice as many quarts as I did (no, not all of those).
I guess the chairs are for the people who just watch other people picking.
The price was 4 dollars a quart if you pick your own, 5.50 to buy the ones already picked, which were huge.


Today I froze some, ate some fresh, gave some away, and stewed the remainder making a sort of runny preserve (no pectin). A lot of work but fun!

Mary: did you finish processing yours yet?

It's raining again today!

3 comments:

Biddie said...

Beautiful strawberries! That's the size I like - not too big nor too small - my mouth is watering ...

Priscilla said...

Biddie, your mouth will water even more if you click on the first picture because I used a different mode on the camera that allows a greater enlargement. It only took me a year to discover this!

Kristen said...

mmmmm I love strawberries